As promised, here are my answers to the first homework assignment. If you have something different, please get in touch with me so we can discuss the differences in our answers. There is always more than one way to come to the same result in SQL, but I want to make sure you have the fundamentals. These answers have been updated to work with AdventureWorks on 2008R2.
And now: the answers.
1. What query would show me all the records in example.person?
SELECT * FROM Example.Person
2. What query would show me the first name and last name for all records in Person.Contact?
SELECT FirstName , LastName FROM Person.Contact
3. Now, starting from the last query, what query would limit the results to just those people with a last name of Sanchez?
SELECT FirstName , LastName FROM Person.Contact WHERE LastName = 'Sanchez'
4. Again, using our query to show us first and last name from Person.contact, limit the results to people with a last name starting with c.
SELECT FirstName , LastName FROM Person.Contact WHERE LastName LIKE 'c%'
5. Given there are many rows returned by the query you wrote in question 4, limit the results to 10 rows.
SELECT TOP 10 FirstName , LastName FROM Person.Contact WHERE LastName LIKE 'c%'
There you go! The answers to the first homework assignment.